Thursday, October 05, 2006

Socktoberfest

Socktoberfest is upon us and I am really excited to work on socks this month, like every month. I love having socks to work on as my non-thinking project. So, for Socktoberfest my goals are:
  1. Finish My Traveling Socks (Trekking socks in the sidebar)
  2. Finish the Sock for KAH
  3. Work at least a bit on My Husband's Skull Socks
  4. Cast on a new pair of socks
Now to start Socktoberfest off we were asked by Lolly to answer the following questions, enjoy!

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
I started making socks while I was still in college (so 2001/2002). I taught myself first with the Christmas Stocking book and then with the Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook. I love that book and is certainly worth having if you are interested in spinning/dyeing/knitting. I actually adapted the sock pattern onto the mini circs made by clover (size 8, 8.5" long)

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?

My first sock was actually a stocking that I made on dpns with awful acrylic yarn. I got the cuff done and the heel was fascinating, but I lost interest with the foot, so it was eventually frogged. It sat a while in my stash before that happened. I made an actual pair of socks not too far later (on the clovers) by adapting the Twisted Sisters pattern to a chunkier sized yarn (my handspun). I have no idea which pair that was or even if they were for me. That year I made socks for everyone in my family for Christmas.

What would you have done differently?
I know that my first pair were really chunky. They were made on size 8s after all! If I had it to do over I probably would have used tiny needles and sock yarn or tried to spin finer. My spinning has improved a lot since then.

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
I love my handspun yarn, my handpainted yarn, Trekking, Blue Moon, just about anything. I love sock yarn! (Actually I love yarn!)

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
I knit on two circulars. I really love my mini circs as well, but the smallest size is a 4. If they were smaller I probably would use them. I do use the 12" size 3s on my husbands socks, because he has good size feet.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
I love my short row heel. It is the one from The Twisted Sisters. I love how it looks like the socks in the store. I have done a couple of flap heels and they are alright too.

How many pairs have you made?
I really have no idea. I know I made a bunch for Christmas when I started. Then a pair every year for my mother out of handspun merino/silk (handpainted by the Twisted Sisters). I've made a few pairs for myself and a couple of pairs for my brother (including handspun knee socks that he never wears *cry*). I can't think of too many more, but I don't have a count. I hope that this works =)

No comments: