Monday, November 12, 2012

Roast Broccoli Pesto

So I originally got this idea from the Smitten Kitchen.

Then, of course, I had to modify it. I decided to use roasted broccoli instead. It turned out so good! It is so easy to make too! What is also awesome is it is easily made vegan and is naturally gluten free! So a great thing to serve when you have lots of friends with many different dietary needs like I do. I used the roasted broccoli recipe from Barefoot Contessa only I tweaked it a bit for my own needs. It disappeared too fast to get a photo, but I promise next time I will get one! Here is my recipe:


  • 2 heads of broccoli
  • Good olive oil
  • Salt & Pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon of Penzey's Florida Sprinkle (Lemon Pepper)
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (leave out if making it vegan)
  • 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves (about 12 leaves)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Cut the broccoli florets from the thick stalks, leaving an inch or two of stalk attached to the florets, discarding the rest of the stalks. Cut the larger pieces through the base of the head with a small knife, pulling the florets apart. Place the broccoli florets on a sheet pan large enough to hold them in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, until crisp-tender and the tips of some of the florets are browned.
Remove the broccoli from the oven and let cool for a few minutes until you can touch them with your fingers. Place in a food processor. Add Florida Sprinkle, lemon juice, parmesan cheese, and basil leaves. Drizzle with Olive Oil. I drizzled, then turned on the food processor, checked it, and drizzled more until it looked like the consistency of pesto. Shred more parmesan cheese on top, if desired.
It goes great with pasta or tortellini. Can be used in any way pesto is regularly used. 
I will also admit that I have never been a fan of broccoli until I tried this roast broccoli recipe. Turning into pesto creates one more fabulous way to eat it! I love it. 

No comments: