Tuesday, June 06, 2006

A Bit of Dyeing

One of the things that I love about having my own blog is that I can talk about the art that I am working on. I have aspirations to become an artist or at the very least to make something that sells to support myself and my fiber addiction. So, my latest idea is to make handpainted sock yarn. I spent most of yesterday out dyeing on my porch.


This is my pretty yarn. It will look much better when it is reskeined (so the colors mix) and pictured in a some place where it isn't backlit. Then it will all go up on etsy. I'm also hoping to do a batch up for Knot Another Hat. Though I think it will have to wait until I am a little less busy.


This is some very lovely wool that I dyed up. It is a medium grade wool that I got off of ebay. It kinda has a musty smell, but after I have dyed it, spun it, and felted it it should smell a whole lot more like lavender or clean soap. I do really like how it looks and it should make some lovely bags. It is also the kind of wool that felts by looking at it funny. Luckily it has gone through dyeing unscathed.


Oops. Note to self: Clean off the bathroom counter before rinsing lovely dyed wool/yarn. I accidentally dyed my husband's toothbrush. Who knew that it would take the dye that fast? Thankfully my husband took it very calmly. Maybe it was because he was napping =P or that he just has gotten used to me and my fiber dilemmas.

Lastly, I am going to leave off with this lovely picture of my nasturtium, which has taken off. I love the beautiful blossoms. My hope is to train it along the deck rail and cover one part of my deck with beautiful orange and red blossoms.

Thank you one and all for all of your happy birthday wishes =)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So very beautiful! I will count my pennies and wait for arrival on your shop. :)

Your husband's toothbrush made me giggle. I like the effect!

My husband develops film in the bathroom and kitchen sinks.. I make him put away my toothbrush, but the advantage is he scrubs the sinks both before and after. :D

Anonymous said...

Yippee! I can't wait to get my hands on some of your sock yarn. I'll be watching for you to say that it's on Etsy.