Saturday, September 17, 2011

On the Needles

I have a couple new things on the needles:


This first one is in a bit of a time out. I know it doesn't look like much at the moment because there isn't any way to lay it all out. It is the Bulky Raglan Bolero (Rav link) by Sarah Keller of my lys Knot Another Hat. I am knitting it out of my new Superwash Merino Bulky in color Moss. Now the problem isn't with the pattern (which is excellent) or with my yarn, per se. It's that I somehow thought, even though all patterns state 3-4 skeins of yarn, that I could somehow do it with 2. I quickly figured out that was definitely not the case. So it is in time out until I get more yarn in and have time to dye it up. Personal dyeing time doesn't come that often, unfortunately. Hopefully I'll get it done before it is sunny again, so it can go with my pretty new sun dress.


This is the other project on the needles. I am quite enjoying making these socks for my husband (rav link). They are knit out of the leftover yarn from the Willie Sweater, which is Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Dk on #3US. They are squishy soft and so cozy. I have already received confirmation of their excellence from my husband trying on the first one. I am knitting them from the toe up using Judy's magic cast on. I also recently read a post by JC Briar saying that kf-b makes the best toe up socks, so I thought I would try it out. I must say I agree. it is super simple and makes great lines. For the leg I did a simple 3x1 rib followed by my favorite loose bind off, which is k2, sl the 2 sts back to the left needle, k2tog tbl. These socks take one 50 gram ball for the main color and 1/2 a ball for the contrasting heels and toes. So for the pair that's 3 balls of yarn total, which isn't too bad for a man's size 12 foot!

No comments: