Tuesday, May 15, 2007

On My Way to Work

So for the past two weeks I have been walking not only to work, but back home as well. Usually I can get a ride home, but with my change in hours this hasn't been possible. So, I thought that I would give you a little bit of my journey to and from work to make things interesting.


Hood River has a nifty system of stairs that go from downtown all the way up to the Heights. They are an impressive set. This is the first one one my way down.


This is the monolith set down. The very longest one. In fact I always get impressed looks when I tell people that I live at the top of the stairs.


This is the 3rd set. At the bottom (on the left) is a rose garden that has benches and tons of pretty roses in June. To the right is a horse shoe pit, but I haven't ever seen anyone actually play.


The fourth stairs go down to downtown proper. The down town main street runs perpendicular. You can kinda see the intersection. Knot Another Hat is a couple of blocks down on the right.


At the bottom of the stairs is a very lovely waterfall. It is a war memorial for those who fell in WWI. At least I hope that is right. It is really cool and in the summer when it is hot there are people who come and play in the water.


Finally at work. This is a proper picture of the croisette top. Just to add a little knitting content to the days adventures. It is really super cute and of course the store mannequin makes it look really awesome.


Ok, so once I am off work it is back up the stairs for me. The bottom stairs look pretty much the same down as up, so I thought I would spare you the same photo. These stair head up to the rose garden and are next to Horse Feathers, a local restaurant.


Then the next set of stairs. You can also see the stairs of doom in the background.


The stairs of doom themselves. I actually can manage to go up all of these without totally huffing and puffing, but they do pretty well exhaust me. Lots of people in town actually jog up and down them. After all they are free exercise equipment.

My way of going up is to go up a few stairs, take a break and look at the view. This is the view off of the stairs. It is a very pretty walk. Thankfully, though, my hours have changed again and I will be walking primarily down the stairs.

I hope you have enjoyed this little tour.

Coming Soon: Sockaplooza News, shop updates, & more.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I can't believe I've lived here (well, in White Salmon) my entire life and have never actually climbed the stairs. Hope you've been enjoying the good weather as much as I have!

Davy

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Davy, never climbed the steps myself, but I know how long they are! You're going to be very buff by the end of the nice season. :)

Anonymous said...

Did you see that you've been mentioned by both Criminy Jickets and Wendy Knits in the past few days? Awesome!

Davy

Krafty1 said...

bbiThanks for sharing your walk with us!

Quail Hill Knits said...

The tour was great. But the stairs og doom look aptly named.

Penny said...

ooh ! I hope to get to visit in person some day. Hood River looks beautiful!

knitseashore said...

Thanks for showing us your walk! It looks pretty in the nice weather, especially the rose garden and waterfall.

Re: your question about reskeining a few posts back (I'm catching up), I don't mind reskeining as I agree with you; it helps to see how the colors will work together.

Your baby knits for the shower are so cute!

Anonymous said...

I've seen the stairs many, many times; they looked very daunting to me, and I admire you for being able to walk up them without huffing and puffing! The photos are fabulous; you really did a good job on them.

Glad I got to see you in person 2 weeks ago and to pick up my Lavender Sheep Mt Hood yarn!

Khadijha Caitlin said...

Wow! It’s beautiful there!!!! My hubby lived on the west coast for about a couple months and said it was fabulous. Hopefully someday I’ll get to go and now I know where to buy my souvenir yarn!

Kudos to you for taking the stairs!

Jillio said...

you live in such a beautiful place! i was in oregon for a few years for college, and i loved it. i loved traveling to different parts of the state and seeing the different landscapes. i especially loved seeing the seasons change! thanks for sharing!

Irie said...

awesome, had no idea you were a fellow Oregonian. I've spent lots of time in the self-proclaimed wind surfing capital of the world, as my mum grew up there and still has family there. Never knew about the stairs though! :)

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the tour! What a great little town and beautiful view!