Monday, April 13, 2015

Faux Log Cabin Woven Placemats

A couple of weeks ago I taught a class on Color & Weave. For it we did a simple pattern to learn the basics. While I was developing the class I put together a step by step pattern that walks through making the placemats. So, I thought it would be fun to make the pattern available on the website!


The reason it is called "faux" is because it isn't quite a true log cabin pattern. A true one has an extra thread every repeat. For simplicity in teaching warping on the warping board for the first time, I omitted the extra thread. However, I did include a true log cabin draft in the back of the pattern, if you would like the extra challenge. 


This pattern is written for a Rigid Heddle Loom, but I include directions suitable for shafted looms, because those are what I was trained on first. My patterns are meant to teach someone how to use any loom whether it is a Rigid Heddle or a more traditional loom.


I just love the simplicity of these placemats. I can't wait to put them to use on my table. The yarn used is 2 colors of Zooey (a cotton/linen blend). Though any sport weight yarn or yarn around 18-20 wraps per inch (WPI) would work wonderfully too! Find the pattern on the website here: http://www.lavendersheep.com/shop/products/patterns/weaving/faux-log-cabin.html

No comments: