Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Venice Beach Tank

The long promised post about my Venice Beach Tank!


It turned out so pretty! It also looks really great on Maud. I think I should have made the next size up for myself, but this one fits my mother just perfectly. She has been trying to bribe me for this one or to knit her a new one. I have relented to the point where she can borrow it and when it has done the full tour of shows it will be her's. I'm just happy it will find a good home in the end.

I am very happy with the construction of this top. It went very fast because it is all knit in the round. The bottom ribbing is a super simple garter rib. The body has some shaping which kept things interesting as I knit through the pattern. Then at the very top the most genius thing of all is the construction of the straps! There is absolutely no sewing! They are made by knitting a mitered square! I won't give away all the details, but I thought this was simply the most amazing thing. I hadn't ever thought of doing straps that way, but it was so simple and easy. I only had to bind off then sew in all of the ends. How awesome is that?

On top of all of that I was surprised how little yarn it used. The original pattern calls for a fluffy chenille yarn and I substituted my handpainted nylon ribbon for it instead. I made the 38" size and it only used a little over 2 1/2 skeins of the main color and then a little over 1/2 skein for each of the contrasting colors. There is definitely enough leftover to make a cute matching bag or a couple of matching headbands. It is a simple, stylish top that looks good either on its own or over the top of a turtle neck or dress shirt. Overall, it is a very fast, interesting, and beautiful top to knit. Definitely well recommended!

The pattern is available in the shop in regular or extra large sizes. The yarn is available in the shop here! I used Berry Pie for the main color and Day at the Fair and Sea Turtle for the two contrasting colors.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Very hot!! :)

Tina T-P said...

Oh, that is so pretty - I now have "billions" of crochet patterns but have not gotten brave enought to make anything but hats so far.

I noticed the targee that you spun up, I just got a couple of bumps of roving from my LYS (NW Handspun yarns) but I haven't had a chance to try spinning it yet - I still have about 600 yards of Shetland to spin up for the vest my friend is knitting for my hubby. He's busy with our new lambs right now.

Glad you did well at the sale. Maybe this year we'll catch up with each other at BSG. :-) T.