Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Baby it's Cold Outside...

It has barely been over freezing all week! This includes grey and gloom the whole time too. Although if we go 30 miles west it is sunny and clear. So very weird!

To help keep out the cold I whipped out a cowl on Sunday afternoon! This is the Darkside Cowl by Sarah Fama and is a free Ravelry Download. I'm not sure if it is available online somewhere else, but it is a really cool pattern. The pattern calls for worsted weight, but I knit it out of bulky using the modifications made by OCDknittingMom (also a rav link). Pretty much she calls for casting on 64 sts for the bulky yarn. I followed the pattern after that and kept knitting until I ran out of yarn. This ended up being a little over 2.5 repeats. I was left with a very tiny ball of yarn. I just love this yarn so much I wanted to use up every little bit! The yarn is Cascade 109 Tweed LE in color #7610. It was sent to me by the very lovely Penny of Penguin Girl as a Christmas/Hanukkah gift. It simply is wonderful. I tried it out yesterday and it kept me very nice and toasty warm! I got many compliments on it too, so I consider that a success!


The other thing I finished was a pair of moc-a-socs for my grandmother's doctor. I like to call them doc-moc-a-socs, because I think it's funny. Before Christmas my grandmother went to see her doctor and he showed her pictures of his new baby boy. She thought he was a very cute baby. The doctor told her that the baby's name was Ripley. Grandma instantly thought of Ripley's Believe it or Not and felt that the poor kid would be teased for having such a name. Without thinking she said just that to her doctor. Well, when she got home she felt very badly for saying that to her doctor. So she commissioned me to make a pair of booties as an apology. I instantly thought of these wonderful booties. I picked the pattern up on the shop hop last year. I have also been thinking about carrying the pattern in my shop maybe this spring, maybe sooner. The yarn is Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino in Color #340300 Black and the sock yarn is leftover from the socks I made Blair a couple of years ago out of Trekking.

1 comment:

teabird said...

That darn Penny - she's such a good knitter (not to mention a good friend). Lovely!