Monday, July 14, 2014

Birthday Extravaganza part 1

So one of the things I love about having a girly girl is the fact that I can make her super girly girl things. When I saw the tea set (rav link) in Itty Bitty Nursery I knew I needed to make it for my girly girl's birthday. Note: Sorry the photos are a bit bright, I used my phone for all of them.


I didn't make the whole set because I figured I would make more pieces later and expand the collection. It is a huge set! It also includes things like tea bags made out of fine weight yarn and sequins, which I don't think my girl is quite old enough for yet. So I settled on 1 teapot, 2 cups, 2 cupcakes, and a serving plate for the cupcakes. 


I love the finished product. It is adorable! However, I do have a pretty big complaint about the pattern and that is there is a lot of crochet in it. I am not crochet adverse, I can crochet just fine, but I wasn't expecting there to be crochet outside of maybe a little edging. A little warning would have been nice. There is a lot of crochet! So this is the heads up for everyone else out there to think about before trying to make this pattern. Here is what is crocheted: Teapot: the body and spout are knit. Handles are knit i-cord the wrapped with yarn. The top doily piece is crocheted. Cups: mostly knit, with bottom edging crocheted. Plate: Knit with crochet edging. Cupcakes: Bottom is crocheted and top is crocheted, only knitting is a garter st band which goes around the outside of the cupcake. So depending on your crochet ability you may want to skip this one or find a crochet friend to walk you through it. It isn't especially difficult, just surprising!


Though, the end result is definitely stunning. I showed my daughter how to use it and she immediately took to it. I used Jil Eaton Cotton, which was very nice to work with as far as cotton goes. I know this set is sturdy and will stand up to a lot of abuse. I think I'll even be able to hand wash it if it gets used in a realistic way. Bottom line, my daughter loves it and I may even have to make a few more pieces for her next birthday or Christmas. =)

No comments: