I designed and made my baby girl a dress out of some handspun yarn I had made before she was even born.
The yarn was some fiber I bought back when we traveled to Colorado. I plied it with some fiber I got when Woodland Woolworks went out of business. So, I definitely wasn't going to get more of it any time soon. I decided that I wanted to make the dress top down, but I didn't want to do a lot of cutting because the yarn is so special. So no running out of yarn and limited cutting! Check! So I thought I would do some experimenting with short rows. I started with the back and made it to the sleeve holes, then started the front and made it to the sleeve holes, then attached them together and continued in the round until it was long enough and added the bottom border. So that's only one cut of the yarn. Then I crocheted around the sleeve and neck openings adding the button holes at that time. I might try knitting the next time to see if I can make it work. I have ideas! Making that only 3 lengths of yarn!
What I love about it is it works great as a dress. It can be worn on it's own with shorts or tights or layered over a long sleeve shirt and pants in the winter. As she grows bigger it will work great as a tunic. I see her getting a lot of use out of this outfit. Also, it's so cute, I kinda want to size the pattern up for me.
I have also been working on letting the little miss pick out her own clothes. Note the black turtleneck and pink stripe pants for underneath. I especially loved the addition of dinosaur rubber boots, so had to snap a final picture of the whole ensemble. I plan on knitting her more of these dresses. I think it would be easy to size up and down. So, when I get a few moments I plan on writing it up. Maybe I can even make one for the booth in the near future!