Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Bread

When I was sorting through some things I found these neatly handwritten recipes: 


They are my grandmother's recipes hand written down by my mother when she was in high school. They are both for Whole Wheat bread.


You will notice the scale for these recipes is rather large. The first one, I think, makes 2 loaves of bread and the second makes 4 loaves of bread. 


My mother was 1 of 7 children. They were fairly poor and so made everything from scratch, including their bread for the week. My mother said her mother always made the best bread. She said they would take bean and mayonnaise sandwiches on homemade bread to school and all the rich kids would fight over who got to trade them for their store bought bread sandwiches. =)

I haven't made the recipe yet, but plan on doing it soon. Maybe scaling it down a little... Feel free to make it yourself. If you do, let me know! I would love to hear how it turns out!

No comments: