Thursday, February 01, 2007

Projects to Dye For

Monday is going to be a big dye day! I am really looking forward to it. I have received some good size orders already, but I am hoping that I will be able to dye some nice things for the shop too. It isn't too late, though, if you want to get your order in. Just leave me a comment or email me (email is on the sidebar).


I now have a second FO! I finished fixing my dad's ski mask. If you look really closely you can see the two pairs of increases that are there for the nose. Also, I did a loose crochet bind off, which is a single crochet across. It makes a really loose edge and it also makes it nice and easy to pick up later. Instead of doing the crab st around the edge I picked up sts around the opening and did an applied i-cord. The other major change that I did was instead of doing all of those short rows I made the ski mask more like a hat by doing a cast on at the top of the eye hole and continuing like a regular hat pattern. I think I might offer it up as a pattern on the sidebar because of all the changes that I made. Really the only thing that is still the same is how many to cast on and the ribbing at the bottom. The verdict from my father is that it is still tight, but I told him that it needed to be snug in order for it to fit under his motorcycle helmet. My mother told him that if he didn't like it that she would wear it because she liked it a lot. I also forgot my camera so an action shot is going to have to wait for now. I made mine out of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran Color #207, with Nashua Superwash Color #0030 as an accent.


Here is my latest skein of yarn. I have named it Fairy Light, because it looks so much like little fairies dancing in a purple light. I am really happy with how it came out. I wasn't sure what it would look like spun up, but it turned out to be a happy surprise. My husband actually dyed it quite awhile ago and then I ran it through my drum carder this last week. It is 100% Superwash Wool, 72 yards, 1 3/4 oz (52 grams). It will be for sale at Knot Another Hat for $7.50. I have decided that from here on out that I will give full specs for each one of the handspun yarns that I intend to sell. That way you guys can have all of the information if you want to buy it and before it is posted up on the KAH website. Remember you can always email Sarah (her email address is on the website) if you want to purchase the yarn directly.


I have started yet another project. Sarah is teaching a class on the Great American Aran Afghan. It is an 18 month (or so) class (1 every month) where we complete a square each month. I see myself getting it done in about 2 years, so I am sure that all of you will be hearing a lot about it while I knit it. I have 1/2 of the first repeat completed for the first square and I really love this pattern so far. I just love cables and I will have a lot of cables to do for quite awhile. I am making my afghan out of Cascade 220 color #8010 with garnstudio glitter #01 as a sparkly carry along thread.


I have also started to cast on a hat that will be a model for my hat class in a couple of weeks. The class is suppose to be an intro hat class, but a couple of people showed an interest in a cabled hat, so I thought I would make one up for the class. I am using my handy dandy formula for making a cabled hat, which is (head size - 1 inch) + 10%, then rounded to the nearest 5, because I like to do k4, p1 for my cables. The yarn that I am using is Nashua Superwash color #0038. It is leftover from the sweater I made for my mother for Christmas, the Sugarplum Pullover.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

I'm still waiting on my yarn for my afghan KAL. I did get the second book I ordered, the Great Aran one, so now I want to compare them. Hopefully my yarn will be here soon, as the month goes on, I will be getting busier at BMFA.

I love the little skein that you showed. The colors are so pretty.

knittinmom said...

You are a busy girl! Your handspun totally rocks. There was much spinning going on at Cat's retreat, and I was sorely tempted (although spinning w/ young ones in the house would be nightmarish, I'm sure). As soon as the kids are a little older, I'm all over it!