Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Dye For Glory!

I have been a little busy in the dyelab coming up with brand new colors! Part of this is because Chrissy wanted a couple of new colorways for a couple of brand new patterns that are going to be released at Sock Summit and the other part is because the wonderful people on Ravelry have come up with a contest! The contest starts tomorrow, so I thought that today would be a good day to talk about the colors I am entering!


The first one is Peace Lily (rav link)! I was first asked to dye this yarn by Chrissy Gardiner of Gardiner Yarn Works, who also named this colorway. I thought about the simple colors in a Calla Lily. I came up with the soft yellows of the center, the pure white of the flower, and the subtle green where the flower meets the stem. Lilies are a symbol of hope, purity, and renewal. This yarn will also be featured in Chrissy's new Toe-Up! Sock book in the pattern Peace Lily, which can be seen here!

The second yarn is called Moss (rav link)! It is dyed using the new panda superwash sock yarn. I was inspired to dye this yarn from the softly draping moss and lichen on the trees near where I live. I love the subtle changes of color throughout the skein. I just simply love this yarn. Every time I dye it the yarn turns out a little different. Chrissy is also designing a pattern for this yarn, but I haven't even seen a peek of it yet!

Lastly there is Vineyard (rav link)! I was inspired by the soft baby green to dark adult green leaves of the local vineyards. The purpley reds of the grapes shining through the sunshine dappled leaves. Chrissy has a small preview of the pattern she is releasing at Sock Summit with this yarn in this blog post. I love this yarn dyed up, but I think I love it even more knit up! I can't wait to see the sock in person!

All of these yarns will be available at Sock Summit on a first come first serve basis. I've dyed up a number of each colorway, so hopefully it will be enough. I'm also going to take custom orders there on site with free shipping, if I happen to run out. After Sock Summit the yarns will be available in my shop and I will dye up even more if I happen to run out. I'll post more details about the contest tomorrow when it is up!

No comments: